History of Residence Nosticova Prague
Hotel Alchymist Nosticova Palace
The Alchymist Nosticova Palace in Prague takes its inspiration from the period of Emperor Rudolf II. 16th century Prague was a center of alchemy, mystical learning and art; the court of Rudolf II teemed with alchemists seeking to turn base metal into gold and art dealers trying to enrich the already extensive collections of the Emperor.
Hotel kept its baroque charm and historical decoration. Our guests could enjoy not only five star accommodation, but also authentic Italian cuisine of San Carlo restaurant. Every guest is welcome to join for breakfast, or lunch and dinner.
The earliest records of the Alchymist Nosticova Palace (also known as Residence Nosticova Prague) date back to 1658, although its foundation reaches back to 1522. At that time the Lesser Town council decided to divide the land of theLazarovskaGardens, built on the grounds of the Maltese Monastery of the Mother of God and the Monastery of the Infant Jesus of Prague, into smaller plots and estates. At that time, a single story house was built and many of its original features, such as the arched ceilings, timberwork and fragments of its stone entrance, have been preserved until today.
Over the centuries, the Alchymist Nosticova Palace has undergone numerous extensions, renovations, and even owners. For example, Jan Josef Schifl bought the Nosticova residence in 1731 and, for some time, the residence was known as the Schifl House. Historical records tell us that after 1814, the Alchymist Nosticova Palace already had three floors and boasted decorated supporting pillars, which were unfortunately destroyed over the course of time. We also have a note providing us with a detailed description of the residence in 1865 when it consisted of four apartments, five rooms and a hall; apparently, the interior walls were made of wood and the apartments were accessed via an exterior corridor and porch.
The Langwel model of Pragueshows the Alchymist Nosticova Palace allowing us to argue that, from 1826 to 1837, the facade of the building facing Hallichova Street was renovated and rejuvenated. It was topped with a mansard roof and two dormer windows. The facade facingNosticova Streetremained unchanged, retaining its five floors and three dormer windows.
The residence was returned to its original glory thanks to the love and devotion of its present Italian owner, Mr. Giorgio Bonelli, who has spent much energy recreating the historical charm of this, now truly, amazing boutique hotel in the centre of Prague.